1) First read what blood stem cell donation encompasses
Information for those who want to join the Stem Cell Registry.
Note! Members of the Registry commit to helping any patient in need, whether child or adult, Finnish or foreign. Registry members cannot choose the recipients of their donations, since the choice of donor is primarily dictated by factors of tissue compatibility.
2) Please check whether you are eligible to donate stem cells: www.sovinkoluovuttajaksi.fi.
For more information on your eligibility, call +358 29 300 1515 or send an e-mail message to kantasolurekisteri(at)veripalvelu.fi.
3) Complete an online form to join the registry.
For authentication, you need Bank Identifying Codes.
4) Take a sample from the inside of your mouth.
We will post you a sterilised cotton swab so you can take a sample.
5) Return your sample to the Blood Service.
A preliminary tissue typing obtained from the saliva sample is used to find a suitable donor. Only those who have returned the sample may be included in the registry.
The saliva sample will be sent to the United States for the tissue typing. The information security in US may differ from the European standards. When the tissue typing is done, the information will be saved both Finnish and the global registries (World Marrow Donor Association).
Thank you for your interest in helping!